Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Review: Little Caesars Pretzel Crust Pizza

Recently, given the growing popularity of Detroit style pizza across America, I took the opportunity to try Little Caesars version. You can read the full story and review here. Before I visited the Austin location to pick up the Detroit pizza, I ordered on the LC app and noted that the menu had a "Pretzel Crust" pizza for just $6. Since I'm fond of the concept of the pretzel crust, I added one to my order.

I didn't know what to expect, but this was a substantial pie, about 14" round. Little Caesars introduced this pizza in 2014, but it's never been a full-time regular menu item. The Pretzel Crust pizza is topped with muenster and mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni. It has no tomato component, instead sporting a creamy cheddar cheese sauce.

I doubt if the crust is any different than other large round LC pies, other than how it appears to have a buttery glaze to which copious amounts of coarse salt are applied. So the cornicione is more "salty bread stick" than pretzel - but as a guy who likes a salty pizza, I have no problem with that approach.

This proved to be one very tasty combo, and much like the Detroit pizza, it was just way better than what any of the big chains (Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, LC) were making 10 years ago. The popularity of artisan pizzas has pushed the big chains to make better pizza, and that's a win for everybody.

The problem with mass-produced pizza has usually been a soft, floppy crust that lacked flavor, character, and crunch. This pizza, however, had a good snap as well as a toothy chew, some flavor of its own, and a good golden brown underneath.

Some corn meal and good browning underneath

In short - a wonderful value for $6. What Little Caesars has done here is not break new ground, but execute at a surprisingly high level for this price point. I'm going back to my favorite local artisanal pies, but there's no shame in enjoying this damn decent chain pizza.


Little Caesars Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment: